Tuesday, July 3, 2007

S. Dev Burman: Guide (1965/1966)


Guide is said to be one of the best bollywood soundtrack's of all time, but I don't feel that way about it. To me, it's not the greatest, it's in the "good soundtrack" category because it only has a few good songs. And honestly the movie makes you like the songs more not the opposite. The soundtrack should complement the movie, or I don't even mind when the soundtrack is better than the movie but in the case of Guide I was disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Don't worry, I'm not that disappointed, this is still a good record. "Gaata Rahe Mera Dil" the first song and the hit tune of the movie, with it's mildly jazzy-rock'n'roll feel, is a romantic and classic duet by Kishore Kumar and Lata.

What I find special is the fact that they left the dialogue at the beginning of some tracks. Like for example the laugh in "Aaj Phir Jeene Ki". The song is my favorite, it's so carefree, because of it's simple and sweet melody.

"Sainya Be-I-Maan" and "Piya Tose Naina Laage Re" are great, but you really appreciate the music after watching the dancing and decor in the videos. The second of the two has some wacky noises in it.

After there is the charming, "Tere Mere Sapne" that has the same feel as the first song on the Lp.

The songs I don't like are "Din Dhal Jaye" and "Kya Se Kya Ho Gaye"

"Wahan Kaun Hai Tera" and "Megh De" are sung by S. Dev Burman and they are both better than I expected.

So, overall it's a good soundtrack but it's missing some extra something. It's said to be a classic , you listen and decide for yourselfs.


Tracks:

Side 1
1.
Kishore Kumar & Lata Mageshkar: Gaata Rahe Mera Dil
2.
S. D. Burman: Wahan Kaun Hai Tera
3.
Lata Mageshkar: Piya Tose Naina Laage Re
4. Mohd. Rafi: Din Dhal Jaye

Side 2
5.
Lata Mageshkar: Aaj Phir Jeene Ki
6. Mohd. Rafi: Tere Mere Sapne
7. Lata Mageshkar: Sainya Be-I-Maan
8. Mohd. Rafi: Kya Se Kya Ho Gaye
9. S. D. Burman: Megh de
10. Manna Dey & Chorus: He Ram (Bhajan Traditional)

Lyrics: Shailendra

Stella_1's score: 3/5

Get the music now: S. Dev Burman Guide

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the album.

D

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've been looking for some Bollywood soundtracks for a Bollywood party in Oxford, UK, and I've really enjoyed the music on your blog. Thanks very much.

Reza said...

Stella ...hope alls well
In light of Third Floor music's slow down I am going to start posting some bolly myself
Come visit :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Stella,
First let me say this is a great collection period. To have all these on LP is incredible.
As for the score of Guide, for me the two song you have listed as the least favorite are among the gems of this album. Rafi at his very best. They are among the two all time great renditions by Rafi and truly soulful compositions by SD. Maybe give them a second chance :-). Its a great blog and I will keep coming back for more for sure. Cheers.

Kritika Ritu said...

i'd agree with raj...Din Dhal Jaye has amazing depth in its lyrics...but i would also agree with you that Piya Toh Se Naina Laage Re would have been highly incomplete without the beautiful picturisation and Waheeda's classical dance moves :)