Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Naushad: Ram aur Shyam (1967)


I don't have lots to say about the Ram aur Shyam record except that the cover of the album is great but most of the songs are disappointing. It's as if Naushad is using an old formula that doesn't work anymore or maybe he was just tiered and didn't put much effort into it . In the 60's Ram aur Shyam is nothing compared to his classics like Leader(1964) or Ganga Jumna(1961).

There are two songs I like on the record. The first one is ''Dhire Dhire Bol Koyee Sun Lega'' mainly because it's the most danceable song on the record, but honestly it doesn't get me moving. Oh! By the way, if you watch the video, the main female dancer is the golden head bobber in Gumnaam's ''Jen Penchan Ho''.

The second song that I find acceptable is ''O Balam Tere Pyar Ki Thandi Aag Men''. It has a nice melody

There is no spark to this album. I couldn't even listen to the hole thing in one go. I hope that you enjoy this album more then I did, I know it's supposed to be a classic.


Tracks:

Side 1
1. Mohd. Rafi: Aaj Ki Raat Mere Dil Ki Salami Lele
2. Asha Bhosle, Mahendra Kapoor & Chorus: Dhire Dhire Bol Koyee Sun Lega
3. Mohd. Rafi & Asha Bhosle: O Balam Tere Pyar Ki Thandi Aag Men


Side 2
4. Lata Mangeshkar: Maine Kab Tumse Kaha Tha
5. Lata Mangeshkar & Mohd. Rafi: Main Hoon Saaqi Tu Hai Sharabi
6. Mohd. Rafi & Chorus: Aayee Hai Baharen Mite Zulmo Sitam
7. Asha Bhosle & Chorus: Aaj Sakhi Ri More Piya Ghar Aaye Re



Lyrics: Shakeel Badayuni

Stella_1's score: 3/5

Get the music now: Naushad Ram aur Shyam

3 comments:

litlgrey said...

The golden head-bobber IS a classic! I wonder if somewhere she has a MySpace page. Of course, "Gumnaam" preceeded this picture so it's hard to tell where her career path took her after her favorite dance style became passe.

Anonymous said...

She is Laxmi Chhaya, here's a link to her filmography

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0156857/filmoyear

I want to say that she was a Gujarati film actress, but I can't be too sure.

Unknown said...

Hi, you have very very nice and rare LP records of bollyw.you are very lucky.pls tell me the sourse of old lps where can i get them all.

shetal.5574@gmail.com

Regards.