Saturday, January 5, 2008

O. P. Nayyar: Phagun (1958/1989)

Now this is one I like. I love this entire album (It has 12 songs). I don't think everyone will, because it's really for the 50's fans. It can be dull if you like the wacky and weird, but give this one a listen, you might be delightfully surprised.


Even tough it's not as musically detailed or refined as some more classical inspired soundtracks, I am attracted to it's simplicity.

The title music at the beginning is a dramatic intro. (that should be required for all hindi films).

The classic, "Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya" comes next. It is also the theme of the soundtrack, and can be heard in the "Title Music","Piya Piya Piya" and "Teer Yeh Chup Ke". It's the fist time I have heard a theme in old hindi cinema. They have it all the time now, but it is especially used in western classical scores.

The dramatic start and mainly the chorus at the end of "Barso Re" make it stand out a bit. Also enjoyable are"Chhun Chhun Ghungroo Bole" and "Teer Yeh Chup Ke".

The song I least like is "Shokh Shokh Aankhen". I don't know why, but I noticed it was the most western inspired, with it's guitar and accordion.

The end of the 50's was a peek for Asha Bhosle's voice. It's great on this album.


Here is a modern remake of "Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya". Oh, god! I think I will stick with the 1958 version.

Enjoy the album and leave me your comments!


Track

Side 1
1. Title Music
2. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya
3. Asha Bhosle: Sun Ja Pukar
4. Asha Bhosle: Chhun Chhun Ghungroo Bole
5. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Ja Meri Chhod De Kalahi
6. Asha Bhosle & Chorus: Shokh Shokh Aankhen


Side 2
7. Asha Bhosle: Piya Piya Piya
8. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Tum Rooth Ke Mat Jana
9. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Main Soya Aankhiyan Meeche
10. Asha Bhosle & Chorus: Barso Re
11. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Bana De Bana De Prabhuji
12. Asha Bhosle: Teer Yeh Chup Ke


Lyrics: Qamar Jalalabadi


Stella_1's score: 4/5


Get the music now: O. P. Nayyar | Phagun

10 comments:

MAHARAJAH said...

P.E.A.C.E.

Good look on those bollywood albums

Anonymous said...

This is very god blog. I appreciate your love for hindi films and its music.I would like to add one point here that calling hindi film industry as Bollywood is very derogatory. Hindi film industry has its own identity and it does not need any hollywood name association to be recognised.
I hope you understand my point of veiw.
And the albums you are sharing are really nice and i always surf this webpage whenever i get time

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Hi. Apparently there's another contemporary remix of Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya, sung by Asha Bhosle herself. Somebody at YouTube posted it in sync with the old film clip. Chances are you might have seen this, but I thought I'd mention it here anyway, because I thought it was pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFjtrqz6iuE

Anonymous said...

Stella,

Could I request you to re up this one (Phagun - OPN). My system crashed and I am unable to salvage this one.

Thank you.

Stella_1 said...

Hey Tala, just press on the link at the bottom of the post, where it's written "Get the music now: O P Nayyar | Phagun" just click on Paghun , the link and download are both working.

Anonymous said...

Stella,

Sorry to bother you. I did try several times, both before and now, doesn't work for me :(

Thanks anyways!!

Stella_1 said...

I just downloaded it right now. I don't know where the problem is, but maybe you have kaspersky internet security? That sometimes blocs the download. If you have that just pause you security for the time of the download, and you should be just fine. Tell me again if it does not work? I will upload it again and send you a link. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well, what do you know, now it worked!! I had to restart my computer, maybe that helped. Really appreciate your uploads and assistance... take care!

অনির্বাণ said...

Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya. was the song everyone will fall into love until they hear one long-forgotten traditional folk tune from Bengal.....Beder Meye Jyotsna Aamay Katha Diyechhe...You will quickly fall from the ninth heaven and shocked to see how plagiarised is the Hindi no! Yes, the Bengali vocal is rustic..and has a little musical arrangement but that cannot rip away the beauty it has. Folk songs are only like that.
Beder Meye Jyotsna Aamay Katha Diyechhe... is the song from one Bengali jatra (a la Marathi Nautanki) Beder Meye Jyotsna which was made into one well-known Bengali movie in the 90s.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I cannot download this item, can anyone assist?