Wednesday, March 5, 2008

N. Dutta: Sadhna (1958/1982)


In the early days, N. Dutta was the assistant to musical director S. D. Burman , so I was scared that there would be a S. D. Burman clone out there, but ''S. D. Burman the second'' he is not (I was relieved). N. Dutta's soundtrack for Sadhna is a little unexpected gem. Every song has it's own charm, making none of them a bore to listen to.


In the film,Vyjayanthimala (one of my favorite and one of the best dancers in Indian cinema) plays a courtesan. Thank god, because that's a good excuse for great dancing (Kathak) and great music.Well it basically insists on having a brothel scene, ''Kahoji Tum Kya Kya Kharidoge'' is what you get. The tabla is great and there are just enough rhythm changes to make you head spin (but in a totally good way).

Like I said in my last post, the best qawwali that I've heard up to date is ''Aaj Kyon Hamse Parda Hai'' . It has great music and vocals.

Next on my favorite list is a song sung by Geeta Dutt, Yeay! (Her and Shamshad Begum have to be the best playback singers ever). We only get one song on the album sung by her, but it's one of the best. ''Tora Manva Kyo Ghabraye'' is a mellow song with a timeless memory. It has a sweet into as well (nice flute).

The rest of the songs ''Aise Vaise Thikane Pe Jana Bura Hai'' , ''Sambhal Ae Dil'' and ''Aurat Ne Janam Diya Mardon Ko'' are quite nice. I enjoy this album very much. What do you think?



Tracks:


Side 1
1. Lata Mangeshkar: Kahoji Tum Kya Kya Kharidoge
2. Lata Mangeshkar: Aise Vaise Thikane Pe Jana Bura Hai
3. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Sambhal Ae Dil


Side 2
4. Mohd. Rafi & Balbir: Aaj Kyon Hamse Parda Hai
5. Lata Mangeshkar: Aurat Ne Janam Diya Mardon Ko
6. Geeta Dutt: Tora Manva Kyo Ghabraye


Lyrics: Sahir

Stella_1's score: 4/5

Get the music now: N. Dutta Sadhna

9 comments:

litlgrey said...

Hey Stella, you don't happen to have the soundtrack to "Howrah Bridge," do you? The DVD seems to have gone out of print, although the classic "Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu" is on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite movies, and one of the reasons for that is the excellent music. Lyrics are written by Sahir Ludhianvi and subtitled on the DVD (often the songs aren't)---they are amazing (even subtitled!).

Thanks for this, will be good to hear the original vinyl sound :-)

avocado kid said...

sounds good! thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Best qawwali is in Barsat Ki Raat also written by Sahir.
The movie has 5 of them. Do look for it. It will become your favourite especially if you figure out what the subject of those songs.

So what did you think of "Aurat Ne Janam Diya".
Did you understand the lyrics. It has some of the most pro-women lyrics every written in HFM.
Sahir did the same in Pyaasa.

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog link on "Music from the Third Floor". Thanks for your time and interest in uploading these great vinyl soundtracks! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I also found this to be one of the nicest soundtracks that you've posted so far (and I've downloaded quite a few from this site - many thanks). I also think Vyjayanthimala was great - but I'm very patial to those South Indian actresses who were trained in bharatanatyam. (My absolute favorite is Padmini - and I loved that movie where we got to watch the two compete!)

Bollyviewer said...

Love this soundtrack. Every song is a gem and they are all so different from each other in mood, style and music! I was a bit disappointed in Vyjayantimala's dancing in this movie though, and I consider her to be one of the best movie-star dancers. Guess bharatnatyam dancers dont take to kathak very well, or maybe it was just the choreography but it struck me that she was way better in 'Kathputli' which also has lovely songs and great dances by her (she plays a stage dancer there).

Parag said...

Hi Stella

Greetings of the day.

I happened to see your blog dedicated to images and bits of pieces of information on Hindi film music.
It is an excellent piece of article and many thanks for posting it. I am glad to see that you have said some real nice words for playback singer Geeta Dutt ji.

I am proud to let you know that I am involved with the first ever website dedicated to this singer Geeta Dutt ji. The website is www.geetadutt.com and was launched on 23rd November 2008. Kindly visit the site and do let us know your feedback on the same.

I will be highly grateful if you can provide a link to www.geetadutt.com on your blog.

The official email id of our site is geetaduttfans@gmail.com

Many thanks and warmest Regards
Parag

(On the behalf of Geeta Dutt fans)

Vinayak Vaidya said...

Hi,

My name is Vinayak and I live in India.
I found you accidentally while searching for an image of Old Time MD Khemchand Prakash.

I have quite a large collection of old Hindi film songs.

I liked the way you wrote about Sadhana album (this word is still new to me...my English says Album is a collection of photographs)/gramophone record.

My favourites are Samhal Aye Dil, then Geeta Number and then the Kya Kya kharidoge...

N.Dutta is NOT another SDB (I like both of them).

If you wish, you can write back to me about songs.

Cheers